- Mental Health First Aid Adult – a 2 day course in 4 sections for people 16 years and older
- MHFA Lite – an introductory mental health awareness course, one half day
- Mental Health First Aid Youth – a 2 day course aimed at people working with young people 8 – 18 years old (in training)
- Short talks about Mental Health issues, including the language of mental health and the stigma and discrimination around mental health. 30 – 60 minutes is typical
These courses are delivered by Approved MHFA Instructors who have completed a seven day programme accredited to Mental Health First Aid England and audited by the Royal Society for Public Health. All participants receive a certificate of attendance, workbook and/or manual.
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID Adult
The fundamental 2 day course equipping you with the language, skills, knowledge and confidence to recognise and assist someone affected by a mental health issue on a first aid basis.
What will I learn on an MHFA course?
An MHFA standard course will teach you to:
- Spot the early signs of a mental health problem
- Feel confident helping someone experiencing a problem
- Provide help on a first aid basis
- Help prevent someone from hurting themselves or others
- Help stop a mental illness from getting worse
- Help someone recover faster
- Guide someone towards the right support
- Reduce the stigma of mental health problems
MHFA training is an intensive course, delivered over two days and aimed at those without specialist mental health training.
‘I have a much better understanding of how other people may be feeling.’
‘Given me confidence and more empathy towards mental health issues.’
‘In 13 years as a police officer I didn’t learn as much as I did in the last two days.’
A three hour Introductory Mental Health Awareness Course. A great way to learn about mental health and gain an understanding of the basics. It will help equip you in this area. The aims and objectives of the course include:
Enabling participants to
- gain a wider understanding, for themselves and others, of some issues surrounding mental health
- gain a greater understanding of how and why positive and negative mental health affects business
- work more effectively with people experiencing mental health problems
By the end of the course participants will be able to
- identify the discrimination surrounding mental health problems
- define mental health & some mental health problems
- relate to people’s experiences
- help support people with mental health problems
- begin developing a business case for promoting positive mental health in the workplace
- look after their own mental health
The course also introduces ALGEE – a unique memory tool for conducting mental health first aid.
“A good intro to mental health conditions”
“A comprehensive introduction”
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID YOUTH
This course increases awareness around young people’s mental health. It allows you to develop practical skills to identify a range of mental health issues and support a young person to get the help they need. Research and evaluation shows that taking part in an MHFA course:
- Raises awareness and mental health literacy
- Reduces stigma around mental ill health
- Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
- Promotes early intervention which enables recovery
Participants gain a more in depth understanding of specific mental health issues and is delivered in four manageable chunks:
- What is mental health?
- Depression and anxiety
- Suicide and psychosis
- Self-harm and eating disorders
Within each section there is clear focus on the issues faced by young people today, including bullying/cyber bullying and substance misuse. The course also teaches the importance of promoting protective factors and good parenting. Completing the two day course qualifies you as a Youth Mental Health First Aider.
For details of the latest courses planned in your area, please fill in the contact page and I’ll get back to you.
This page has the following sub pages.