The most common mental health issues are stress, anxiety and depression
- How stressed are you as a senior manager/business owner?
- How stressed are your employees?
- How anxious are your employees, for example, about job success or job security?
- Could you recognize a depressed member of staff?
Statistics show that one in four people will experience a mental health problem in the course of a year.
- How many people do you employ?
- How many people on your staff are likely to be affected?
Mental ill health is the third biggest cause of absenteeism in the workplace.
- What do mental health problems cost your company in a year from absenteeism?
- What will it cost you if a senior member of staff is absent for a week? Or for 3 months or even longer?
- What about the cost of presenteeism (attending work but underperforming)?
The estimated overall cost (of mental health problems) to UK business is now £30.3 billion a year – equivalent to £1206 per employee (that’s every member of your staff, not just the affected ones).
- Can you afford that?
- You can increase your bottom line by training about mental health issues and mental health first aid thus reducing absenteeism and presenteeism in the workplace.
- The courses cost a fraction per person of the overall impact of mental health issues on your business
- It is a sensible business investment to have employees trained in mental health first aid to reduce absenteeism and presenteeism?
- Your staff will benefit from understanding more about their own mental health and learning methods to safeguard themselves
As the cost of mental health in the workplace increases the need to know and understand more about the issues also increases.
- As a minimum, your HR staff should be trained in mental health first aid.
- What about the company benefits of training your staff under Corporate Social Responsibility?
- Be ahead of the game (it is a matter of time before there is a legal requirement for members of staff are mental health first aid trained, just as it is a legal requirement now for physical health first aid training)
- Be viewed as a caring company – caring about mental health issues in the workplace (not just the bottom line).
- Improve your ranking in the list of companies that people want to work for.
- Being a socially responsible organization and training your staff in mental health first aid and being aware of mental health issues is certainly something to shout about in press releases, advertising and in social media.
- Can you afford not to?
Contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about available courses to benefit your business